Undergraduate student Amanda shares her passion for research.
Research is not always in laboratory and scientific settings. The Ivan Allen College is a center for new discoveries in the liberal arts and there is extensive opportunity and support for undergraduate research projects.
Undergraduate research is a substantial discovery experience with the opportunity to advance knowledge in a field. A highlight for many students is the one-to-one mentoring by faculty who are engaged in cutting-edge research in the social sciences and humanities.
Requirements for the Research Option vary by School. Research projects are conducted for credit and/or pay. Completion of the Research Option is noted on the student's transcript.
The President’s Undergraduate Research Award (PURA)
Georgia Tech strongly believes in the value of undergraduate research and encourages it through information and funding through the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) and the President’s Undergraduate Reseach Awards (PURA).
Specific Recent Student Projects:
- The Advancement of Economic Freedom via Promotion of Open Source Software
- Spanish and English Language Mixing in Social Media
- The Sociology of Diagnosis: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Building a Fantasy Ecosystem to Promote Awareness of Real Ecosystems
- Implementation of AI in Digital Agents and Their Interactions with Human Players
- TRICYCLE and the Pearl HarborQuestion: Routine Espionage or a Warning
- Ignored?Developing Technologies’ Relationship to International Affairs
- Video Games and Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Optimizing Project Management of Long Term Projects with Short Term Workers
- One City, Three Universities, Multiple Models of Technology Commercialization
- Measuring the Effectiveness of South Korea's GreenGrowth Strategy
- Characterizing Trends In Green Building Certification
- Examining the New Space Opera and its Evolution Over the Past Twenty Years
- The Milk of Human Corruption: Liconsa and the Persistence of Childhood Malnutrition in Mexico
- Dynamic Families: Lesbian Kinship in the Social, Cultural, and Legal Context
- Characterizing Privatization Trends within U.S. State Parks
Other Topics of Research:
- Labor Policy
- Intellectual Property
- Macroeconomic Conditions
- Political Histories of the South
- Oral Histories of US Soldiers in Iraq
- Energy Policy
- Human Rights Issues
- Rise of Islamic leaders in Asia
- Speech Recognition
- Development of Text Animation
- Analysis of Themes in Science Fiction
- Water Policy
- Economic Development
- Causes of Homelessness
- Political Use of the Internet