How to Do Them
Students should start strategizing internships early and plan to apply for several internships for the same semester to assure at least one internship will be secured. Below are several tips for securing internships.
- Start researching internships six months before the internship semester.
- Keep up with your majors listserv mailings, which list internships periodically.
- Contact your Academic Advisor for procedures for setting up internships with your major.
- Consider interning during fall or spring semesters when there is less competition for internships.
- Meet with a career counselor from Career Services, to clarify career interests and to help narrow down career areas.
- Keep a file of interesting internships for future semesters.
- Follow the GT career center's strategies for getting an internship.
- Search the, Internship and Job Web Resources page under this website.
Why Do Them
We can't think of a good reason why you shouldn't! An internship helps you gain valuable experience to increase your marketability after graduation, helps you narrow down major and career choice, helps you command a higher starting salary, looks impressive to graduate schools, and assures you have meaningful experiences to discuss during job and graduate school interviews.
70% of employers require new hires to have had internships or other on-the-job training
60 percent of 2012 college graduates who took part in paid internships received at least one job offer!
More than 63% of U.S. college seniors graduating in spring 2013 had completed at least 1 internship by graduation.
The Purpose & Benefits of an Internship
- Possible academic credit
- Hands-on career exploration
- Test possible career choices
- Reinforcement of classroom learning
- Gain relevant work experience & develop job skills
- Increase employment marketability
- Possible step toward full-time employment
- Potential to earn money
- Build network
- Secure references
Need help with internships?
Visit the Division of Professional Practice! Their fall internship walk-in hours are on Monday and Friday from 10:00-11:30am and Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30-3:30pm. They can help you find an internship, register to recieve credit for the internship once you've found it, and provide valuable information about P2D2 and work experience in general.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau